I haven’t posted lately because I was bored. I had finished everything and wanted to start a new big project but there wasn’t one. (I’m still waiting for the Drops Alpaka and want to knit my new big project with it.) I casted on a pair of these and a pair of Jaywalker and I did some repeats of the print o’ the wave stole but nothing exciting..
Until last week when I decided to start the felted bag I had in mind for weeks. I want a felted bag which consists of squares in different colors. First I thought about felting entrelac but the FO I saw online were all mhm a bit too untidy for my taste. My picky mind just wants the squares to connect exactly at the corners.
When I saw a member of my knitting group doing this, I did some investigation about knitted patchwork and mitres. You can find some examples here and here (very good but german).
Knitting a mitre is really simple: You just cast on an odd number of stiches. You can use garter or stockinette stich. In either way you just decrease stiches in the middle of the row until only one stich is left.
If you use garter stich you just decrease two stiches every other row using a sl1 k2tog psso in the middle of the row.
Using stockinette stich is a little more complicated. You can of course decrease like in garter but you will not end up with something that looks like a square. ( I apologize for not making little swatches) Due to the fact that stockinette produces a slightly larger row gauge than garter you will end up with someting that looks like this:
To avoid that you have to decrease more than two stiches every other row. I tried to alternate ssk, skk, k2tog and k2tog, ssk, ssk to get a symmetrical appearance, but I’m not satisfied.
Anyway I decided to use garter stich and swatched and felted the swatch to see how it felts and how much it will shrink
As you can see the original swatch is 3.75 inch and the felted one 3 inch. Here you can see a rough sketch of the bag and what I’ve knitted so far.
I started the bag by knitting 10 single mitres.
Afterwards I connected them by picking up stiches on two edges of every mitre with the brown yarn, joined and purled one round. Then I continued to knit mitres using the live stiches like a cast-on row.
When I’ll be back from Cornwall, where I’ll stay for the next three weeks, I have to think about making a mitre which looks like this
to create the four corners I need for the bottom.